Thursday, March 17, 2011

On Impermanence and Work

Nothing is eternal, that much I know. I could never call myself a decent Buddhist otherwise... But, there was still so much frustration on realizing that all my hard work today will, in the big picture of things, amount to nothing. No, my endevors to catagorize and organize the back-stock will mean nothing by the time of our Inspection since by next week, it will be in a mess from trying to find things. Who thought it a good idea to try and fit five boxes of swimsuits in two little places-- organized by design, color, cut, and arrangement on shelf?!

No, nothing is eternal... if only I could accept that.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing eternal?

    Hmm. I can see where that comes from, we (as people) certainly aren't, but it helps to believe in ideals. It may be "realistic" to think "everything fades" and all that cynical blues, but I like to think of it more optimistically. For example, Love.

    Now I know as I say that, there are BILLIONS of examples of, "No! Love isn't eternal because my boyfriend broke up with me. My wife left me. My kids don't call. etc.. etc."

    I believe in eternal love though. The kind that inspires feelings. I know that sounds blatantly obvious but really, feelings. Feelings that I can remember years after that special someone is gone from my life. That look in their eyes, that smile. It's inspiring. It's disarming. It changes my behavior and attitude to this day. If this feeling happens inside me, could it be this happens inside everyone? If it's inside everyone, isn't that eternal?

    And sure, we won't last forever, eternally or whatnot, but in the time that matters, the time we're here on earth (in the micro or the macro picture)... There are things that matter. That feeling matters.

    ReplyDelete